Thursday, July 30th, 2009

Pregnancy Update – Not Good News

by Kristen Suzanne in Uncategorized

I just had a lengthy call from the doctor who did my transfer (Dr. Chang). The pregnancy is not a good one. The ultrasound shows a sac but no fetus. :( It was most likely a chromosomal defect (as is the case with most miscarriages). We transferred the embryo on day 2 and it was basically luck of the draw with which embryo to choose. For example, after transferring that one, we had 4 embryos growing to day 5, and 3 of those 4 embryos made it… therefore, even one of those embryos didn’t make it. Our day 5 embyros have a much better chance of success because they’ve proven to be strong.

My next steps are to stop medication, and then I’ve chosen to miscarry naturally (supposed to be quite painful). They’ll check my blood next week and possibly the following week. We then decide, based on how the miscarriage goes, whether we want to transfer in the next cycle or sit one out. There’s a lot more to the dialogue, but I won’t get into all the nitty gritty details. My spirits are fine for the most part, although I’m a bit let down obviously (and, honestly, I’m a tad pissy, OK, maybe more than a tad). I’m eager to move on to the next step.

Dr. Chang says we have 3 beautiful embryos (that’s a pic of them) and he’s confident we will have a baby one of these days soon. Most likely, if things with the miscarriage go well (seems weird to write something like that “miscarriage goes well”), we’ll be back in NY by the end of August for a natural transfer (no drugs this time… just following my cycle naturally).

Similar Posts: