I make my own homemade raw vegan coconut yogurt all the time. And, every time I make it, I tweet or post about it on facebook. And, every time I do that, someone asks me how I make it. Although I have a recipe with video here, I’m going to write a quickie recipe post that makes the recipe, well, a bit quicker (by way of the number of ingredients).
Quickie Raw Vegan Coconut Yogurt
Yield approximately 3 cups
- 3/4 to 1 cup raw young thai coconut water
- 16 ounces raw young thai coconut meat
- Probiotic powder (2 capsules worth)
- Blend the coconut water and coconut meat until smooth.
- Add the probiotic powder (simply open the capsules and dump the contents into the blender), and blend briefly.
- Pour into a bowl (or jar) big enough to allow a bit of room to expand. Gently place a lid on top and set your coconut yogurt to culture on your counter for 8-16 hours. The longer it cultures, the more yogurt-y it becomes in taste.
- When you’re ready to eat it, feel free to sweeten it and/or add extracts like vanilla, strawberry, etc. You can use this wonderful yogurt in many ways: smoothies, dressings, stirred into chia pudding, used as a dessert with raw chocolate, enjoyed as is with fruit and/or granola added, etc. You can even use it to make frozen yogurt-scicles. I’m a fan of stirring it into my super popular Longevity Chia Porridge (recipe here). *Stored in the refrigerator, Quickie Raw Vegan Coconut Yogurt should stay fresh for at least a week, but mine is usually gone by then.