It’s time for a raw plant based recipe today. A fun one, too. Even though I eat a diet rich in high quality animal products, it doesn’t mean I don’t make my family raw plant-based recipes, too. I find value in raw vegan recipes for their diversity to my family’s diet and the phtyo-nutrients they offer. Whole-food, plant-based recipes have a place in all diets although I no longer subscribe to a 100% plant based diet anymore for us.
Apart from the soaking time of the sunflower seeds, this recipe can be whipped up in no time flat – that’s my kind of recipe. Or, use Go Raw sunflower seeds which are already sprouted and it’ll take even less effort. The texture of the final recipe will have some crunch since the seeds won’t be soaked but that’s totally cool, too.
Easy Stuffed Peppers (Gluten Free. Raw Vegan. Paleo.)
Yield 2 servings
- 3⁄4 cup raw organic sunflower seeds
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons organic flax meal
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon himalayan crystal salt (or perhaps less, if using already salted seeds like these)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon chipotle powder
- dash of freshly ground pepper
- 2 medium to large organic red, orange, or yellow bell peppers
- Put the sunflower seeds in a bowl and add filtered water to cover by about 1 inch. Let them soak at room temperature for 6 to 8 hours, or overnight if that’s easier. Drain the sunflower seeds and rinse. Remember, if you use already soaked and sprouted raw sunflower seeds like Go Raw’s then you can skip this step.
- In a food processor, combine the sunflower seeds with celery, flax meal, chives, lime juice, salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Process the mixture until it’s a lightly coarse texture.
- Cut the top off each bell pepper, including the stem, and pull out the seeds. Stuff the bell peppers with the sunflower seed mixture. Serve immediately.