Enjoy this mega brain-boosting smoothie for your next breakfast or lunch. Warning: if you have a little one around, especially a little girl who loves pink, be sure to double the batch or she’ll drink all of yours.
Strawberry Banana Brain-Boosting Smoothie
- 7 to 8 organic strawberries
- 1/2 banana, peeled
- 1 raw pasture-raised(!) egg yolk
- 1 scoop grass-fed upgraded whey protein powder
- 1 tablespoon Brain Octane MCT oil*
- 2 to 3 leaves fresh basil
- 1 leaf fresh mint
- filtered water
Blend everything in an awesome high-speed blender. (You don’t really need a high-speed blender to make this… but life is better with one.)
Want this to be a brain-and-beauty smoothie? Add a teaspoon of fresh raw aloe gel (don’t get any yellow part of the aloe in it or you’ll get tummy upset). Aloe is shown to reduce appearance of wrinkles when taken internally. Cool, huh?
* You can substitute regular ol’ coconut oil in this recipe but it is NOT the same. Brain Octane is basically a brain-boosting-MCT-oil-on-steroids and also imparts no flavor. So, if you use plain ol’ coconut oil, the taste will be coconut-y and less powerful for your brain, but indeed plain ol’ coconut oil is still awesome for your brain (and weight loss… According to GreenMedInfo.com, “Coconut Oil - Two human studies now exist showing that dietary coconut is safe and effective in reducing midsection fat in both women and men. In the women’s study, the treatment group received two tablespoons of coconut oil (30 ml), daily, over a period of 12 weeks, resulting in both a reduction in waist circumference, as well as a boost in their “good” HDL cholesterol levels. In the male study, obese men received two tablespoons (30 ml) of coconut oil per day, taken in 3 divided doses, half an hour before each meal, for one month. The men experienced an average of over one inch (2.86 cm) reduction in their waist circumference, with no changes in their blood lipids.”)