I really love “all” of my slow cookers because they make healthy living much easier. Throw a bunch of healthy stuff in a pot and cook. See? Healthy and easy.
Here I am showing you that I had the day’s dinner essentially “done” (and cooking) before I even finished my morning cup of coffee. It’s that easy. (Ok, so I had drank about 1/3 of the mug and then refilled it for the picture, not realizing it would look like I hadn’t had any. Um that’s crazy, of course I had a few sips as I prepared the food for the slow cooker.)
- Put some wine in a slow cooker (maybe a cup or less – I used white wine). Add a couple bay leaves.
- Add some carrots (I just put them in whole, for the most part, and cut them up later).
- Add a chopped onion.
- Add celery if your heart desires. Mine desired but I didn’t have any.
- Add ginger or garlic or anything else you feel drawn to add.
- Add a pasture-raised chicken that you’ve salted and peppered and maybe stuffed with fresh herbs like thyme. (If it’s not pasture-raised I don’t even bother.)
- Now add a couple of cups of filtered water (maybe 2 to 3).
- Set the slow cooker (I used my 7 quart here) to LOW and let it go 8 hours. If you’re in a hurry and need it done in like 6 hours, then set it to high.
Ok, so it’s 8 hours later… here’s what you do.
Get out three baking dishes or large plates and carefully place the chicken in one.
As you see mine fell apart upon taking it from the slow cooker because it was so tender. That puts a new meaning to “falling off the bone” tender. Let the chicken cool a bit so you don’t burn your fingers taking the meat off the bone. Seriously, go read a chapter in your favorite book. That chicken is HOT!
Add some frozen peas, cuz everyone loves peas.
Take the meat off the chicken and place in a separate plate and bones on the third plate. Chop up the meat or shred it (I usually opt for kitchen shears).
Add the meat back in and stir it.
Use scissors to cut the veggies that are in the slow cooker if they’re too big.
- My Best Chicken Soup – Inspired By My Daughter’s Distaste for Carrots
- Recipe Orange Chicken & Yams Slow Cooker Gluten Free Paleo
- Paleo Recipe: Minimalist (aka Easiest) Slow Cooker Chicken
- Delicious 4-Ingredient Boursin Stew Recipe (Slow Cooker)
- Don’t Be Afraid of the Brine. Pan-Roasted Chicken Breasts w Easy Pan Sauce Recipe.