Tis the season to enjoy some fabulous holiday drinks and food. :) Mmmmmm yummmm.
I started my season a bit early … before Thanksgiving because I like it to last as long as possible. (We also had our tree up the week before Thanksgiving.) So, when I saw pumpkin pie pumpkins at Whole Foods early in the season I had to buy.
I’ve been making pumpkin by cooking it myself now that I’m a pro at using a slow cooker (you all know I have them coming out the wazoo). I used homemade pumpkin in my pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving and I’m using it again here in my Pumpkin Spice Creamy Buttered Latte.
It’s really easy to do.
Basically, you pierce the pumpkin a few times, put it in the slow cooker, cook on High for up to 6 hours depending on the size of the pumpkin, scoop out the flesh and do something else with the seeds (if desired), and voila… pumpkin puree!
Or, scoop it out of a can or box. I’ve done both but there’s something about making it myself that makes it taste better to me.
Recipe: Pumpkin Spice Creamy Buttered Latte
Yield 1 to 2 servings (let’s be honest, I make this as one serving)
- 2 cups freshly brewed hot coffee
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup canned or freshly cooked pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pumpkin spice powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric powder
- 2 raw pasture-raised egg yolks
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 3 to 5 drops liquid vanilla stevia (or sweetener of choice)
Blend everything together until creamy. Enjoy.