Sunday, January 29th, 2012
Shimmer shimmer… shine shine…. happy days… I am feeling amazing. From head to toe, I feel electric. It’s like my cells, nerves, and every part of me is glowing inside, healing, vibrating with an energy I can barely describe, but it’s just oh so beautiful… My transformation to Total Ethereal Goddessness is working.
It’s a work in progress, but it’s happening. How am I doing it? Is it just the awesome, effortless, pure raw food I’m eating? No. It’s not so simple (yet, it actually does feel that simple, natural, if that makes any sense). Yes, I’m eating an amazing raw organic diet (What is it now? About 34 days into my 90-day plan?), but that’s not all. For those of you who have been following my journey, you know I’ve been doing enemas, yoga, meditation, dry skin brushing, creating new routines for my beauty regimen, etc. But, I still have more. I want to do better with conscious chewing, I want grow my own food, and meditation needs mastering. One thing at a time though.
Read More »
Thursday, January 19th, 2012
Helllllloooooo super star friends! Here I am…. it’s been over three weeks since I first blogged about My 90-Day Clean Raw Food Mission. Has it really been that long already?
Soooo…. How do I feel? Mmmmmm…. F*cking GREAT!!!!! Sorry for the language, friends, but tis true… I have a potty mouth. I say my potty words with nothing but loooooove though. :)
What have I noticed over the past days with this blissful and nourishing food I’m eating? This sublime life I’m living? Well, a few things!
Going out – I had a couple of moments where I wondered when I was going to get a break making food. Thankfully, the food style I’ve chosen is effortless for the most part, so doing this every day for every meal makes it that much easier. That being said, there are times that I’d love to wiggle my nose, cross my arms, and poof(!) have a raw meal in front of me. So what did I do? I went out to eat this week. We went to Chakra 4 Herbs (a lovely breastfeeding friendly place) where I met up with Karen Knowler last year… anyway, I digress (I’m feeling a bit chatty today)… I went there for some lovely raw foods. We ate lunch, I bought some extras to-go, and life was good. I’m going back Friday for more. Their food is heavenly. And, now that I’m officially calling myself a tea drinker (that’s a whole other post!!!), with Chakra 4 Herbs being a big tea house, it’s the best of everything.
What would I do, however, if I didn’t have a couple of raw places within a 30 minute drive? Well, I’d order raw foods online so that I could take a bit of time off from the kitchen (we all need a break once in a while, right?). My favorites so far are Pure Market Express and RAWvolution. UPDATE (1/25/12) – Although I’m listing Pure Market Express here as a source, I want to note a couple of things. In the past I’ve evaluated their food and loved many things and I’ve had a couple of things that I’m not crazy about. Also, I’ve heard of complaints about their policies, rancid nuts, etc. I only think it’s fair that I let you know.
Read More »
Wednesday, January 4th, 2012
Happy New Year! It’s been a week or so since I shared My 90-Day Clean Raw Food Mission (let me say… I have LOOOVED all of your awesome comments and feedback. It seems like some of you are on board and wanting the same for yourselves, so I welcome an ongoing dialogue via these posts where you can share your journey), and I’m feeling fantastically awesome. I am flying high and everything I wanted is falling into place. It’s working! I’m going to shine brighter than ever… I can just feeeeeeeeel it. My body has a lightness to it and those dry and sluggish feelings are dissipating.
So, here are some juicy details…
Read More »
Saturday, December 31st, 2011
A new time is upon me. A new dawn. A new life. As I wrote in a previous post, I’m feeling particularly drawn to a clean, easy, and pure raw lifestyle right now. I officially started it December 27 and will keep at it until April 1, at which time I’ll reassess, possibly dial things back a bit.
I feel in my heart of hearts that an all-raw diet can be wonderful when done correctly, as well as a moderate or high raw diet. (All vegan, of course). I don’t think cooked, whole vegan foods are the devil. Actually, I think they’re great when you want them. My philosophy has always been to listen to my body, which draws me to various levels of raw at different times of the year. The body has cycles. Rhythms. I go with them.
Right now, I’m focusing on eating 100% all raw and living foods. Consider it a full blown Raw Reboot. But as you’ll see, I’m going beyond just food with this. Furthermore, I’m being mindful of breastfeeding and also trying to get pregnant (therefore I’m tracking calories so I don’t dip too low). If I weren’t doing those things, this plan would be lighter.
Read More »
Friday, December 23rd, 2011
I’m feeling that pull again. It happens at least a few times a year where I want to be all raw. It pulls at me. Draws me in. I’m feeling it again now. Actually I’ve been feeling it during this past month, during which I did a small all-raw stint. Then, I added some cooked back in. But. I’m feeling like hitting it up again.
What’s drawing me to it? The need for clarity, cleansing, purity, and light. My diet is quite excellent as is, but it’s heavy and I am feeling a draw to lightness at the moment. At least I think that’s it. To be honest, I frequently find myself going back and forth between a desire for all raw and high raw, which is fine. I just follow my body even if it’s for a day or a week or a month.
I’m not going to give up my raw chocolates or nuts, but I think I’ll eat fewer of them. I think. ;)
Today, I ate mostly raw… Fresh picked oranges, bars, garlic cream dip, veggies, water with green powder, dates, nori snack, and a cooked vegan burrito which still had some raw in it (guacamole, pico, and lettuce).
I’m also feeling drawn to something else that I’ve never wanted to do. More on that later…
PS. I’m writing this from my iPhone. If all goes well with posting then look for more blog posts in the future.
Saturday, December 17th, 2011
I get asked repeatedly about the foods Kamea eats. It’s hard to post, because it’s forever changing. What she eats a lot of one week, she might not even touch the following week.
She’s been teething molars lately so it’s TONS of mama snuggle time while she breastfeeds and she’s backing off the solids as a result. So, it always, always changes.
Past faves? For awhile she was really into dried fruits (Bija goji berries were eaten by the handful). Another period she took to black beans. Another period it was a lot of protein shakes, smoothies, and apples. One day it was oranges, since then she hasn’t wanted any. For a few days, she enjoyed Nana’s homemade soup. There was a time she liked tofu, but she turns her nose up to it now. She doesn’t want avocado. Ever. And, she shakes her head “no” to bananas, but she likes them in smoothies… when she’s in the mood for a smoothie.
Always changing. So. Basically, I make available all kinds of organic, mostly raw / some cooked foods and she either eats or she doesn’t. And, she’s always loading up on mama’s milk. :) I enjoy following her lead. She’s mega healthy, happy, and doing wonderfully.
One thing she’s taking a liking to this week: chlorella tablets.
Tuesday, December 13th, 2011
Lately I’ve been eating all raw. I’ve had the urge and attraction to simple, easy, fresh, and clean raw foods. Because I wanted to stick with this for awhile, I decided to write a list of raw food ideas that I can keep on my iPhone, as well as a print out on my kitchen cupboard. This way, I’m always aware of many options and I don’t get distracted with cooked foods.
And… it’s working! After I made the list, I went grocery shopping and really loaded up.
Here is my list. These are clean raw foods that, to me, are easy and accessible. I’m not looking for gourmet options… the idea here is simplicity.
Liquid & Blended Nourishment options… I like lots of these because they’re high energy
- Green powder mixed in filtered water or coconut water
- Greeeeeen juice (make 2-3 quarts at a time with my Hurom and store for the day)
- Smoothies of all kinds – There are so many options! Green smoothies, fruit smoothies (fresh or frozen), nut milk smoothies, add flavors/spices for extra variety. I also love light, bright, non-sweet fruit smoothies like the one I blended the other day with filtered water, cucumber, lemon, and a smidge of Sea Clear fermented miso chlorella & kelp. Another time I threw in a handful of fresh mint in place of the Sea Clear. It’s a GREAT way to consume cucumbers which are instrumental in giving my skin a delicious glow)
- Protein shakes (I keep a variety of raw protein powders on hand like Sun Warrior, Vega, Hemp)
- Nut milk (freshly made almond milk is my favorite… I make 1-2 quarts at a time and each quart lasts about 2-3 days)
- Coconut water
- Zesty drink with: ACV, lemon, raw coconut nectar, and cayenne spice! (kind of like a master cleanse beverage… yum)
- Creamy raw soups made with avocado or nut butters
- Fresh fruit (doesn’t get easier than this!)
- Sprouted, dehydrated seeds and nuts (crunch crunch!)
- Sprouted quinoa or buckwheat with seasonings added
- Huge Salads (make simple or gourmet raw dressings)
- Granola with nut milk
- Superfoods (gobble up goji berries, cacao, etc)
- Zucchini or cucumber pasta topped with pesto or cream sauce. I make multiple batches of my Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto (friggin’ AMAZING STUFF) and I freeze it. This way, I always have it on hand and it’s perfect for dipping with veggies, using on veg pasta, and makes a delicious salad dressing. We made it for Thanksgiving this year, but tossed gently steamed green beans with it. OMG we were all jumping up and down in our seats at how mega delicious it was!!!!!!! I am not exaggerating!
- Raw cheese dips for carrots, celery, romaine leaves, etc
Sunday, November 6th, 2011
- Organic jasmine green tea (2 cups)
- Cleansing Organic Green juice (Made 1 quart, split with Greg) - carrots, celery, kale, cucumber, romaine, lemon juice. I made this with my little Breville juicer.
- Goji berries, dried blueberries, apple
- Power Anti Aging Organic Smoothie (Made about 5 cups, split with Greg) – I used mom’s Blendtec and loaded it up with filtered water, 2 leaves kale, 3 tablespoons Udo’s oil, 1 cup coconut milk, 3 persian cucumbers, 4 to 5 fresh mint leaves, 6 oz fresh raspberries, 1 cup frozen blueberries, ice, 2 teaspoons maquis powder (huge source of antioxidants), 1 teaspoon camu camu powder (tons of vitamin C – extra good for this time of year with flu season), 2 tablespoons cacao nibs, 1 serving vega performance protein powder (vanilla), 2 servings Sun Warrior chocolate protein powder, 3 tablespoons hemp protein powder. Now, let me just say… I am not drinking this shake for flavor. I am loading all of those goodies up in it so I can get it all in.
- Supplements: Jigsaw magnesium, vegan DHA, vitamin D, vitamin B12, wheatgrass tablets, vitamin k2, chlorella
- Organic decaf coffee with a piece of raw chocolate (new recipe I made!)
- Light n Fresh Organic Raw Lunch: Mesquite Red Bell Pepper Dip with raw broccolini, whole romaine lettuce leaves, apple, and cucumber crudité. I also had a kombucha (addicted to these lately… I love all the flavors but I’m partial to Trilogy and Guava as of late)… and I had to test (again) my new raw chocolate recipe. :)
- Fun n Hearty Vegan Dinner - Gardein chicken nuggets, organic jasmine brown rice with organic peas stirred in, and topped with my own daiya cheese sauce. Ummm had to have dessert so I went crazy on some peanut butter chocolate coconut ice cream topped with… um… raw chocolate. :)
- Supplements: Jigsaw magnesium, vegan DHA, vitamin D, vitamin B12, wheatgrass tablets, chlorella
Thursday, October 20th, 2011
I’m almost finished with my next email newsletter… sharing with you tons of great tips and recipes for navigating the holidays with ease. Be sure to sign up, if you haven’t already! I’m only sending this email newsletter out for a limited time.
Here are Tuesday’s eats.
Organic decaf coffee w coconut milk and a couple of Winter Solstice Cranberry Cashew Nuggets. Truth be told, these are usually a dessert, but sometimes I eat a raw dessert for my breakfast! Um, and I had three, but only two are showing. That’s part of the beauty of raw. The foods are so darn healthy you can often gobble up dessert for breakfast. That puts a little extra joy in your day, eh? And, I know… my picture shows halloween fun with “winter solstice” nuggets… oh well. :) Note: this delicious recipe will be shared in the email newsletter I mentioned above.)
Large protein shake with two scoops Sun Warrior chocolate protein powder, Udo’s oil, Vega protein performance powder (vanilla), water, a hunk of Organic Raw Fudge with Raisins, frozen raspberries, and Navitas Naturals camu camu powder.
Organic Sun Tea (nettle, red raspberry leaf, mint) I get a 1/2 gallon glass mason jar and put 2 bags of red raspberry leaf tea in it along with two each of the nettle and either a mint or green jasmine tea). I drink this throughout the day and Kamea loves it!
Organic Apple. Organic Tofu.
Lettuce cups with Mesquite Red Bell Pepper Sauce. Yum – this sauce was deliciously unique spiced with mesquite from Navitas Naturals. Kamea couldn’t get enough of it either… she kept dipping her spoon in and licking it up. Oh, how that warms this mama’s heart to see my baby girl eating so much organic raw goodness. After my lettuce cups I had Organic Raw Fudge with Raisins (homemade) and an Organic Apple.
Pure Bar (chocolate) – While we were shopping at Trader Joe’s I was hungry so I grabbed one of these and ate it while shopping.
Protein shake – similar to the one above but minus the Udo’s oil/Vega, and made with coconut milk instead.
For those of you wondering… yes, I’m still breastfeeding. Some days I load up on calories and some days they’re average (depends on my hunger and exercise, which I haven’t done a lot of lately but carrying my baby around all day counts, eh?). My smoothies are usually large and with the oils or seeds or whatever else I add, they’re usually high calorie. So, yes, I’m eating enough. :)
Wednesday, October 12th, 2011
Monday was filled with lots of nutritious foods… here’s the breakdown.
- Organic Superfoodie Smoothie - This bad boy had frozen blueberries, spinach, Sun Warrior chocolate protein, Udo’s DHA oil, goji berries, and homemade raw almond milk
- Large Organic Apple
- Large Organic Salad - (romaine, bell pepper, handful of sprouted tofu cubes, carrot, soaked/dehydrated sunflower and pumpkin seeds). The salad was dressed with Himalayan crystal salt and balsamic vinegar.
- Ants On A Log. Why don’t I eat those more often (for those of you who don’t know… organic celery stuffed with organic nut butter and topped with organic raisins)? They’re so friggin’ yummy! Seriously, I have a feeling that you’ll see a lot more of these in my food journals. Yum!
- Navitas Naturals snacks – Have you had these? Man, I’m really liking them. Navitas Naturals sent me a bag of each to sample and I like the blueberry and chocolate ones. Perfect for snack attacks, going to the movies, on road trips, or airplane rides. Oh! And, Kamea was very fond of them herself. :) (Turns out we polished off two bags in one day. Oops.)
- Organic Cauliflower with Hot Mama Mango Sauce
- Organic Green lentils (cooked with thyme, mushrooms, onion, garlic, carrot) – large serving
- Organic Raw Chocolate Mint Mousse - you know the drill… avocado, raw chocolate powder, raw agave nectar, etc. – large serving