- Organic jasmine green tea (2 cups)
- Cleansing Organic Green juice (Made 1 quart, split with Greg) - carrots, celery, kale, cucumber, romaine, lemon juice. I made this with my little Breville juicer.
- Goji berries, dried blueberries, apple
- Power Anti Aging Organic Smoothie (Made about 5 cups, split with Greg) – I used mom’s Blendtec and loaded it up with filtered water, 2 leaves kale, 3 tablespoons Udo’s oil, 1 cup coconut milk, 3 persian cucumbers, 4 to 5 fresh mint leaves, 6 oz fresh raspberries, 1 cup frozen blueberries, ice, 2 teaspoons maquis powder (huge source of antioxidants), 1 teaspoon camu camu powder (tons of vitamin C – extra good for this time of year with flu season), 2 tablespoons cacao nibs, 1 serving vega performance protein powder (vanilla), 2 servings Sun Warrior chocolate protein powder, 3 tablespoons hemp protein powder. Now, let me just say… I am not drinking this shake for flavor. I am loading all of those goodies up in it so I can get it all in.
- Supplements: Jigsaw magnesium, vegan DHA, vitamin D, vitamin B12, wheatgrass tablets, vitamin k2, chlorella
- Organic decaf coffee with a piece of raw chocolate (new recipe I made!)
- Light n Fresh Organic Raw Lunch: Mesquite Red Bell Pepper Dip with raw broccolini, whole romaine lettuce leaves, apple, and cucumber crudité. I also had a kombucha (addicted to these lately… I love all the flavors but I’m partial to Trilogy and Guava as of late)… and I had to test (again) my new raw chocolate recipe. :)
- Fun n Hearty Vegan Dinner - Gardein chicken nuggets, organic jasmine brown rice with organic peas stirred in, and topped with my own daiya cheese sauce. Ummm had to have dessert so I went crazy on some peanut butter chocolate coconut ice cream topped with… um… raw chocolate. :)
- Supplements: Jigsaw magnesium, vegan DHA, vitamin D, vitamin B12, wheatgrass tablets, chlorella
I’m almost finished with my next email newsletter… sharing with you tons of great tips and recipes for navigating the holidays with ease. Be sure to sign up, if you haven’t already! I’m only sending this email newsletter out for a limited time.
Here are Tuesday’s eats.
Organic decaf coffee w coconut milk and a couple of Winter Solstice Cranberry Cashew Nuggets. Truth be told, these are usually a dessert, but sometimes I eat a raw dessert for my breakfast! Um, and I had three, but only two are showing. That’s part of the beauty of raw. The foods are so darn healthy you can often gobble up dessert for breakfast. That puts a little extra joy in your day, eh? And, I know… my picture shows halloween fun with “winter solstice” nuggets… oh well. :) Note: this delicious recipe will be shared in the email newsletter I mentioned above.)
Large protein shake with two scoops Sun Warrior chocolate protein powder, Udo’s oil, Vega protein performance powder (vanilla), water, a hunk of Organic Raw Fudge with Raisins, frozen raspberries, and Navitas Naturals camu camu powder.
Organic Sun Tea (nettle, red raspberry leaf, mint) I get a 1/2 gallon glass mason jar and put 2 bags of red raspberry leaf tea in it along with two each of the nettle and either a mint or green jasmine tea). I drink this throughout the day and Kamea loves it!
Organic Apple. Organic Tofu.
Lettuce cups with Mesquite Red Bell Pepper Sauce. Yum – this sauce was deliciously unique spiced with mesquite from Navitas Naturals. Kamea couldn’t get enough of it either… she kept dipping her spoon in and licking it up. Oh, how that warms this mama’s heart to see my baby girl eating so much organic raw goodness. After my lettuce cups I had Organic Raw Fudge with Raisins (homemade) and an Organic Apple.
Pure Bar (chocolate) – While we were shopping at Trader Joe’s I was hungry so I grabbed one of these and ate it while shopping.
Protein shake – similar to the one above but minus the Udo’s oil/Vega, and made with coconut milk instead.
For those of you wondering… yes, I’m still breastfeeding. Some days I load up on calories and some days they’re average (depends on my hunger and exercise, which I haven’t done a lot of lately but carrying my baby around all day counts, eh?). My smoothies are usually large and with the oils or seeds or whatever else I add, they’re usually high calorie. So, yes, I’m eating enough. :)
Monday was filled with lots of nutritious foods… here’s the breakdown.
- Organic Superfoodie Smoothie - This bad boy had frozen blueberries, spinach, Sun Warrior chocolate protein, Udo’s DHA oil, goji berries, and homemade raw almond milk
- Large Organic Apple
- Large Organic Salad - (romaine, bell pepper, handful of sprouted tofu cubes, carrot, soaked/dehydrated sunflower and pumpkin seeds). The salad was dressed with Himalayan crystal salt and balsamic vinegar.
- Ants On A Log. Why don’t I eat those more often (for those of you who don’t know… organic celery stuffed with organic nut butter and topped with organic raisins)? They’re so friggin’ yummy! Seriously, I have a feeling that you’ll see a lot more of these in my food journals. Yum!
- Navitas Naturals snacks – Have you had these? Man, I’m really liking them. Navitas Naturals sent me a bag of each to sample and I like the blueberry and chocolate ones. Perfect for snack attacks, going to the movies, on road trips, or airplane rides. Oh! And, Kamea was very fond of them herself. :) (Turns out we polished off two bags in one day. Oops.)
- Organic Cauliflower with Hot Mama Mango Sauce
- Organic Green lentils (cooked with thyme, mushrooms, onion, garlic, carrot) – large serving
- Organic Raw Chocolate Mint Mousse - you know the drill… avocado, raw chocolate powder, raw agave nectar, etc. – large serving
It’s been a while since I posted a day’s eats here but I have been frequently sharing food deets on my facebook page here.
Today, I decided I want to start having my heavier (typically carb loaded) meals in the earlier part of the day and trying to eat lighter at night. It’s something I’ve never been good at doing, but I’ll give it a deliberate go today. The goal is to have light digestion at night which is better for sleep as well as being effective for weight loss and possibly anti-aging. No, I’m not in the market for weight loss, but this should also help me maintain my weight (I’m cool with that).
As for the anti-aging, well, the story goes that by reducing carbs late at night, it enables better release of growth hormone (eating carbs late at night results in insulin being released, which could compete with the growth hormone you should be releasing, and you’d miss out on that. Boohoo.). Growth hormone is reputed as amazing for anti aging, muscle growth, and weight loss. (Another way to release growth hormone is through exercise.) However, there are some competing sources who say growth hormone does nilly willy for anti aging. We’ll see about that. And, be sure that I’m not promoting the idea of getting growth hormone injected! I’m just talking about ways to improve your own body’s ability to enhance it’s natural surge. Geez, this is supposed to be a post on what I’m eating for the day. I’m a bit passionate about the topic of longevity and anti aging…
On to the food for today!
- Black organic decaf coffee w coconut milk (2 cups)
- Organic, locally grown, apple
- 3 cups Organic Green Smoothie (raw almond milk, bananas, cinnamon, ice, goji berries, vega chocolate protein powder, Romaine/chard, Udo’s DHA oil).
- Blue Mountain Organic’s Cheezy Nutty Kale Chips
- Large organic salad with 4-Ingredient Magic Dressing, heirloom tomato, cucumber, purple cabbage, celery, apple, and olives.
- Big ol’ serving of gently steamed organic broccoli and moderate serving of diced organic tofu
- Large Green Juice (cukes, celery, carrots, cabbage, broccoli stalks, chard, lemon juice) made with my Hurom juicer
Here is my high-ish raw, all organic food for Sunday.
Breakfast: I’m excited to share that I actually went to the movies yesterday morning!!!! The first movie I’ve seen in well over a year. My mom took me to see The Help. We both read (and LOVED) the book, so we couldn’t wait to see it once it came to theaters. Let me tell ya… it did NOT disappoint. As my friend said, and I wholeheartedly agree, it’s one of the best book to film adaptations ever. Soo… about my breakfast… I was in a hurry so I whipped up a quick protein shake and grabbed a Boku bar. Read More »
Here is my food journal from Wednesday.
Pre workout fuel: 2 scoops Sun Warrior protein powder, 1 banana, ice, and water blended. Plus I ate 1 1/2 cups blueberries
Post workout fuel: Boku bar, 1 apple, krautwich (2 sprouted pieces of bread, gently toasted, with sauerkraut stuffed between them)
Lunch: Large salad of romaine lettuce, apple, cucumber and topped with my delicious 4-Ingredient Magic dressing
Dinner: Double serving of my Cheezy Corkscrew Macaroni (my popular, part cooked, part raw recipe transition recipe from my book, Kristen Suzanne’s Easy Raw Vegan Transition Recipes). My step-dad begs me to make this every time I visit. For this batch, I made double the raw sauce so I could keep some for veggie dipping later. The cooked part was noodles, broccoli, onions, and black beans.
Dessert: Two big 5-Minute Walnut Brownies (a new recipe that will be featured in my upcoming book with Chronicle Books)
Two days of food journaling… As usual, keep in mind that I’m breastfeeding and exercising daily so I eat a lot! :)
Oh, and by the way… we celebrated Kamea’s first birthday last weekend. You can read about it here…
Friday (Mostly Raw)
Pre workout fuel: Shake made of 2 scoops SunWarrior, 1 1/2 c raw coconut water, 1 banana, 1/8t cardamom. 1 cup of decaf organic coffee.
Post workout fuel: 2T pistachios, 2 dates, Vega Sport Performance Shake
Lunch: 1 Grapefruit. Sauerkraut (will share my review on this new brand I’m trying next week!) on Light Onion Bread (my newest recipe that I’ll share next week – super yum!). The Unexpectedly Delicious Salad: I call it The Unexpectedly Delicious Salad because when I threw it together I figured it’d be pretty good, but I didn’t know it was going to be super delicious! I ended up eating two bowls of it! And had a big bowl of it for dinner. The trick is the salad dressing more so than the veg ingredients, but I’ll still be making this exact recipe again this week. Here is what it had: 1 can chickpeas (not raw), 2 cucumbers, 2 carrots, 1/2 zucchini, 1 celery and the dressing: 1/2c raw coconut water, 2T lemon juice, 2 pitted medjool dates, 1 t garlic powder, 1/4c Almond Cashew Butter*, 1/4t Himalayan crystal salt, 2T fresh basil. *I made a nut butter combo with cashews and almonds and it’s my new go-to nut butter. Simply put 1 1/2 cups each of raw cashews and raw almonds (do not soak them unless you plan on soaking AND DEHYDRATING them – you do not want to make a nut butter from wet nuts) in your food processor and process it until it turns into a butter. Took me about 4-5 minutes and I had to stop and scrape the sides down a couple of times.
Snack: watermelon, 1/2 papaya eaten about 20 minutes after having the melon
Dinner: Large serving of The Unexpectedly Delicious Salad, Light Onion Bread topped with raw sauerkraut, and I also had cherries, a Boku bar, a Vega Shake & G0 shake, Light Onion Bread topped with hummus (not raw), grapes. WEIRD dinner, eh? I was just so munchy.
Saturday (Mostly Raw)
Pre workout fuel: Smoothie of coconut milk (not raw), water, 1 banana, raspberries, romaine, ice. Decaf organic Coffee.
Post workout fuel: 3T pistachios, 3 dates
Lunch: cherries, Large kale salad with creamy nut butter dressing that was a combination of thai and mexican flavors, topped with halved black grapes and a few raisins. The kale was gorgeous, I used 1 bunch of green and 1 bunch of purple for this recipe. I also had 1/2 Go Raw granola bar.
Snack: 2 cups blueberries and blackberries (I went shopping at Whole Foods Friday and loaded up on berries. They were all so fresh and delicious looking… raspberries, cherries, blackberries, and blueberries! YUM! I love summer produce.)
Snack: Huge serving of the kale salad. I was like a mad woman! I couldn’t stop eating the stuff!
Dinner: Raw Zucchini Pasta with Creamy Tomato Marinara and kombucha (it is on sale at my Whole Foods for 2 bucks a bottle now!)
Dessert: 2 Raw Chocolate Nut Butter Balls
Alrighty! I’m back! I was finally able to finish off some projects and can get back to posting more on my blog. So, what better way than to start with a food journal. Here is what this breastfeeding, exercising mama ate today…
Breakfast: Shake of 2 scoops SunWarrior chocolate protein powder, 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (not raw), banana, frozen blueberries. 1 cup of decaf organic coffee.
Went to work out, did about 50 minutes of cardio by circuiting through four different machines. After my workout I ate: 2 T pistachios, 2 medjool dates, 1 scoop SunWarrior chocolate protein shake w/ a few dashes of cinnamon
Lunch: grapefruit, Cucumber Avocado Boat (Greg and I split this). Kraut Sandwich with hummus and loads of raw sauerkraut between two pieces of gently toasted whole grain bread. (I have a delicious batch of raw bread I’m making in the dehydrator right now… will share recipe soon!)
Snack: 3 cups shake made with 1 heaping T Vega’s Tropical Shake & Go, frozen blueberries, banana, 1 scoop SunWarrior chocolate protein powder, 1/2 c coconut milk (not raw), water, and 1 T cacao nibs
Snack: GoRaw granola bar (turns out Kamea loves to teeth on this) and grapefruit
Dinner: homemade black bean veggie soup and two pieces of toast (I went a little heavy on the bread today, but oh well! I’m in a weight gaining mode right now)
Dessert: 2 raw chocolate butter balls
I’m a breastfeeding, working out mama so I’m a calorie burning machine right now.
Breakfast: 2/3 c cooked oats, raw pumpkin seed milk, banana, SunWarrior shake double scoop.
Went to the Gym (hour of cardio): after had 1 banana, double scoop SunWarrior protein powder shake
Lunch: grapefruit, sandwich (sprouted bread toasted, lettuce, raw Onion Basil Spread, tomato). Carrot / celery stick
Vega shake & Go (Choc-a-lot) with 1 banana, handful of spinach, ice, 1 cup raw pumpkin seed milk
Dinner: big bowl homemade black bean soup with cauliflower, kale, carrot, onion, tomato, garlic, spinach, curry powder, zucchini
Dessert: 2 Chocolate Nutty Buttery Treats
Snack: walnuts and pistachios (about 1/2 cup)
Just weighed in at the gym and wearing my shoes I was 119.4. I’m not trying to lose weight, but I’m creating quite the calorie deficit when breastfeeding and working out as hard as I am. I need to eat more!
Top of the morning: Ate 1/2 a melon. Then, 30 min later in preparation for my workout I had a small green smoothie – filtered water, 1 T hemp seeds and 2 T hemp protein powder, 1 banana, handful of local CSA grown arugula, ice, 1/2 t homemade curry powder (I like adding spices to my smoothies for their antioxidant and anti aging powers!)
I went to the gym and had a GREAT workout. By the way, when I’m there, I usually have my water bottle filled with filtered water and a bag of organic green tea and a bag of organic raspberry leaf tea inside it. After my workout, while still at the gym, I had Vega’s power packed Sport Performance Shake in chocolate. Once I was home, I had a banana.