Sunday, August 11th, 2013
Oftentimes my lunch consists of either a big salad or some kind of blended drink / smoothie. I usually load it up with fat and veggies so it’s highly nutritious (fat helps many nutrients get absorbed from foods) and satiating, not to mention easy and fast.
Cucumber Ice Smoothie
Cucumber Ice Smoothie (Vegan. Paleo.)
Yield 2 servings
- 1 large organic cucumber, chopped
- handful of fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 avocado, pitted and peeled
- 1 tablespoon MCT oil
- pinch fleur de sel salt
- juice 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup ice
Blend everything until smooth. I used my Vitamix and the accompanying plunger. If you don’t have one of these beauties, then you might need to add a bit of water to help get it blended.
Thursday, December 6th, 2012
I have a new friend in my kitchen: The NutriBullet blender.
Now, you might be asking yourself why I would buy this when I have both a Vitamix and a Blendtec. I bought it for two main reasons, well, three kind of.
- The first – AND MAIN – reason is for travel. The NutriBullet makes a great travel blender (or for having at work). Up until now I was using a Tribest Personal Blender for traveling, but it recently puttered out (it’s cute that Tribest advertises its motor as powerful with 200 watts, but the NutriBullet boasts 600 watts of power – now that’s rightly powerful). As I was researching the new options for a travel blender, I became aware of the NutriBullet, and after reading the great specs and reviews, I decided that it was the best option for me.
- I also bought it because I am adding Superhero Superherb Superfood Tonic Elixirs into our life, and the NutriBullet fits the bill for making these (so does any blender though – for the most part).
The components. It’s a 12-piece set.
Furthermore, (the third reason) it’s no surprise that I enjoy protein shakes – um, hello, (normally) yummy Immortal Machine (read my updated review of this product). Although a lot of people just shake and go (mixing protein powder with water in a shaker bottle and physically shaking it), I prefer mine blended up (quickly) so they get really smooth (zero clumps). Well, my cute little NutriBullet does this great, and if I want, I can drink it right from the BPA-free carafe it’s blended in. Helpful in times of rushing out the door. However, I usually transfer it to a fancy or fun glass. Any blender does the job for blending protein shakes, but since I needed something for travel, I can use this as well. And, I’ll be honest, when I have new kitchen friends, I’m inspired and motivated for healthy living and foods, so whatever it takes, eh?
Tonic ingredients getting ready for a quick but effective blend.
Read More »