Wow… it’s been too long since my last giveaway! I promise to get on top of that in the future. ;)
This is a very important giveaway because it highlights a mineral that research shows many of us are sorely lacking. Magnesium. I used to think that I didn’t need to supplement with magnesium because I had enough in my diet. I knew that cashews contained it. Chocolate, too! (In fact, many believe that when you crave chocolate, it’s often a sign of your body needing magnesium). But, I was wrong with my thinking that I’m getting enough with food alone. A quarter cup ofc ashews gives about 20-25% of the recommended daily intake (400 mg). I believe there are many nutrients, including magnesium, of which we need higher levels than what the RDI recommends.
But, that’s not all. If you have a magnesium deficiency, it seems that you can’t replenish by just getting the RDI amount of 400 mg. Experts believe that if you’re low on magnesium (by the way, this is not obvious info from blood tests; see why here), then you’ll need to consume higher levels. According to Jigsaw’s website, “Some experts in the field — such as Dr. Russell Blaylock — recommend 1000mg a day as the optimal dose to relieve the effects that can be connected to magnesium-deprived diets.”* Therefore, I’d need to consume at least a cup of cashews and lots of chocolate (ummm… okay, maybe that’s not a bad thing – lol) to reach the amount I think I need. That’s a lot of cashews every day! And — thought it pains me to admit — too much chocolate. :(
So I always try to rely first on organic whole foods to give me a strong foundation of vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients, and then I supplement to fill in the gaps.
The first thing to know is that not all magnesiums (magnesia?) are created equally. Again, it’s a very important mineral. Remember that I mentioned that many people are deficient and need to supplement more than the RDI? Well, it turns out that you don’t want to do this with just any magnesium or you might have bowel trouble due to the mineral’s laxative effect. That’s why I like Jigsaw’s Sustained Release Magnesium, which lets you take higher amounts without having to worry about, er, explosive bowel issues. I speak from experience… (TMI alert)… in the past, I supplemented by drinking Natural Calm’s popular magnesium drink, but I found that I had to be careful with it because it gave me… um… issues. Also, taking the time to drink a cup of something every night inevitably means that there will be times that I miss it because I don’t feel like making or drinking it. So… what to do?
Enter: Jigsaw’s magnesium with SRT supplement and this giveaway! One lucky winner will receive a bottle of Jigsaw’s magnesium with SRT (240 tablets, a 2-month supply. That’s a $39.97 value!… more than regular magnesium due to its time-released formulation that prevents the laxative effect). Details on how to enter for this great prize are at the end of this post.
I’ve only scratched the surface about magnesium and supplementing with it. Here’s some more info from Jigsaw’s website.
What Can Magnesium Help Me With?*
- Promote healthy relaxed muscle tone and function.*
- Promote athletic recovery.*
- Support steady energy production. Promote healthy, restful sleep.*
- Support a balanced response to stress.*
- Maintain healthy blood pressure levels.*
- Maintain healthy blood sugar/glucose levels within normal limits.*
- Promote regularity and healthy digestion.*
- Support the body’s ability to properly dissolve and utilize calcium in joints, muscles, and arteries.*
- Support respiratory and cardiovascular health.*
- Support healthy hormonal balance—especially in connection with the female cycle.*
- Support overall bone health.*
Up to 80% of Americans are Running Low on Magnesium… Why?The simplest answer is that our modern food supply (including organic food) simply doesn’t contain the magnesium it should due to highly depleted soil conditions. Even back in 1915, there were worries about the nutrient quality of the soil, as found in a record of Congressional Testimony. So even if you eat healthy, it is likely that you are running low on this critical mineral.
- Kristen’s Raw 30th Awesome Giveaway – Free Holiday Book!
- Winner of Kristen’s Raw 29th Awesome Giveaway – Congrats, Bitt!
- Kristen’s Raw 24th Awesome Giveaway – FREE SET OF MY EBOOKS!
- Free Set of Kristen’s Raw Ebooks – Giveaway Time!
- Kristen’s Raw 28th Awesome Giveaway – FREE EASY RAW VEGAN TRANSITION RECIPES BOOK