I’ve been wanting to try making an artichoke in the Instant Pot ever since I first got my Instant Pot (my bestie in the kitchen).
- Artichokes are reputed as crazy nutritious, according to one of my favorite books, Eating on the Wild Side. A nutritious edible flower bud. However, in my attempts to find organic, I kept coming up empty-handed – until now.
- The instant pot promised, as usual, speed and ease of making artichokes.
While visiting a farmers’ market in California recently, I found organic artichokes. And… they were good ones.
Eating on the Wild Side says:
- Buy your artichokes as fresh as possible (keeping in mind that apparently jarred artichokes are still nutritious)
- Make sure they’re firm when squeezed
- Rub two artichokes and they should squeak
- Store them in the fridge drawer
- Eat your fresh ‘chokes right away
I brought my Instant Pot with me to California, because who doesn’t travel with their Instant Pot?
Here’s what I did:
Put one cup of water in the Instant Pot along with the trivet.
Slice off a bit of the top of the artichoke as well as cutting off the stem.
Set the artichoke upright on the trivet in the Instant Pot.
Set the Instant Pot to HIGH pressure for up to 20 minutes. Quick Release. I know it’s hard not knowing the exact time, but it depends on the size of the artichoke. I started mine with 8 minutes and ended up with a total cooking time under pressure of maybe 13 to 15? I can’t remember exactly. It’ll take some experimenting, but rest assured that it’ll be easier than using any other cooking method to make them.