Inspired by Helen Rennie’s YouTube video, I took to doing a quick 12-hour pickle with some carrots I didn’t feel like cooking. The result is a tangy, fresh vegetable that’s great for egg salad, tuna salad, or simply enjoyed on buttered sourdough bread.
These make beautiful gifts around the holidays, too.
I doubled the base ingredients, detailed below, to fill my quart mason jar. Since I didn’t have everything Helen used, I made some changes like using chives and basil instead of dill and fennel seeds instead of coriander seeds. I would love to try this with cauliflower, radishes and zucchini next time. Always looking for ways to enjoy those vegetables in the summer, without heating up the kitchen.
Basic Brine Ingredients:
- 200 grams unseasoned rice vinegar
- 200 grams water
- 40 grams sugar
- 24 grams salt
- Stir the ingredients until dissolved.
- Select your veggies. Wash and chop them. Stuff them into a quart mason jar and fill with the brine.
- Put a lid on and let them sit overnight (or for 12 hours). Enjoy and store in the refrigerator.
- red onion
- jicama! (<– I can’t wait to try that one)
- 1 clove peeled garlic and 1 knob peeled ginger for flavor