When we buy grass fed red meat, we opt for both grass fed bison and grass fed beef. Bison is reputed to have lower fat and cholesterol than beef (not that I’m concerned about that though – we just appreciate variety). So, when cooking with bison, I’ll often increase the fat in my dish by adding avocado, grass fed butter, or coconut oil.
Here’s another easy recipe using a slow cooker (one of my favorite kitchen appliances, you all must know that by now though, right?) that delights my entire family. It’s just a handful of ingredients because that’s all you really need for delicious home cooked food.
Bison (or Beef) Mexican Stew (Slow Cooker Paleo Gluten Free)
Yield approximately 4 servings
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes, chopped
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 2 pounds organic tomatoes
- 1 jar of your favorite organic salsa (I love the Trader Joe organic salsa pictured above)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons organic chili powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked sea salt (or plain sea salt), more to taste upon serving
- 1 pound grass fed ground beef or bison
- 1/4 bunch cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
- Optional Toppings: grass fed butter, guacamole, organic sour cream, shredded raw grass fed cheese
- Place the chopped onions, sweet potatoes, and zucchini in your slow cooker. I used a 7-quart slow cooker for this recipe.
- Crumble the grass fed ground bison or beef on top.
- Blend the tomatoes, salsa, cumin, chili powder, and smoked sea salt. Pour the tomato mixture on top of the vegetables and meat.
- Cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or HIGH for 4 to 6 hours.
- Serve topped with cilantro and any other fixings you desire as listed above. (I usually opt for grass fed butter. I’ll stir a 1/2 a stick into the slow cooker before dishing out servings.)