As you saw yesterday, I made my first loaf of sourdough bread.
Um… it wasn’t a total success.
That said, upon using all my strength to break a loaf in half, I found it kind of pretty inside and a bit tasty, too. I am jokingly telling people that at least I know a good sourdough bread crouton recipe.
I mentioned a couple of things that might have contributed to it, at least in part:
1) Something went wrong with my banneton proofing baskets. I floured them a good degree, or so I thought. Yet, there was quite a bit that stuck.
2) I’m not sure I proofed them long enough as the dough was quite gooey. I’m not an expert baker so I have no idea, but I can’t help but think that.
3) I also had trouble shaping the dough prior to putting them in the baskets but I have no guesses as to why that is.
I plan on another go at making sourdough bread but I’ll try a different recipe.
I will also try using this jovial linen couche. Jovial is the company who makes the einkorn flour I bought, too. The linen couche is supposed to be AWESOME in such a way that the bread doesn’t stick. I will use it in the colander method as shown below in her second example.
Check it out…
And, here’s Wardee telling you more details about a linen couche.
- Sourdough Bread Fail – I’m Baking My First Loaf. Whoops. Not What I Expected.
- My Sourdough Bread Sings To Me. A Good Sign.
- Sourdough Starter Day 4 Plus Sourdough Pancakes and Sourdough Crackers.
- Sourdough Starter Mini-Me With Einkorn Flour. Oh, and Sourdough Rye Crackers
- Square Sourdough “Starter” Biscuits Recipe