Tuna fish in a can makes a quick lunch, but I’ll only buy one brand of tuna. Wild Planet is a tuna fish I can trust to have low mercury and high omega fatty acids.
When we travel on the road, we eat it right out of the can for a satisfying protein and nutrient boost (we take these to Disney Land, too).
But, today, I’m sharing a recipe where it’s all gussied up with delicious textures and flavors. My whole family loves this, especially the bites with hidden gems in them like diced dried apricot.
Gussied-Up (low-mercury) Tuna Salad
Yield 2 to 4
- 2 cans low-mercury tuna
- Juice 1 organic lemon or lime
- 1/2 cup grass-fed organic (full-fat) Greek yogurt
- 1 stalk celery, chopped <— get a good knife
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 tsp kelp granules
- 1/2 to 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Drizzle quality raw organic olive oil (or brain boosting MCT oil)
- 1/2 cup raw sauerkraut
- 1 tablespoon organic mustard
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup diced dried apricots (or currants)
- Handful each cilantro, parsley chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Mix everything together with a large spoon in a large bowl. Enjoy.