I’ve mentioned on a few occasions about one of the biggest and quickest improvements I experienced going from decade-long-vegan to omnivore was improvement in the condition and aging of my skin. I also mentioned a few times about how ridiculously easy (and can be inexpensive) my beauty routine is. Well, as you might imagine, a lot of ladies wanted to know what I do for skin care.
So… apart from eating a skin loving diet high in skin enhancing nutrients (retinol, collagen, essential fatty acids just to name a few), I have a simple skin care routine.
Enter: Oil Cleansing.
Here’s what I do every night. I basically get my face wet with warm water. Put a pump of oil in my hand (suggestions listed below). Rub the oil on my face, giving it a little massage as I go. Put a nice warm wet washcloth over my face for few seconds (a minute if I have time). Use washcloth to rub off the oil. Done.
Well, sometimes. At this point I often go to bed. But, sometimes I add a bit of extra oil on my face. Then, I’m done.
In the morning, I either do the same routine or nothing at all other than rinsing my face well with warm water.
What are the specific oils I use? Well, these rotate. The following is a list which I oftentimes actually mix together.
- Organic Coconut Oil
- Living Libations Best Skin Ever Sea Buckthorn Oil
- (Grass Fed Organic) High Vitamin Butter Oil (see note below regarding ghee because the same applies for High Vitamin Butter Oil)
- Organic Grass Fed Ghee (sounds weird, but using ghee or butter oil for beauty is actually common in some parts of the world and it makes sense since it has an important beauty vitamin, retinol, which is in many beauty products)
If I want to get fancy, which I often don’t, I’ll take an extra step for a relaxing mask or exfoliating. For these, I enjoy products from
- Eminence (this line is wonderful)
- Living Libations (everything they do is fantastic, including the whole oral care line)
- 100% Pure
For makeup? Lately I’ve stuck to 100% Pure with a few items from Tarte as well.