Making your own coconut milk is galaxies better than buying it from the store, at least in most cases. The reason is that when you make your own it’s: 1) fresh, 2) doesn’t have any preservatives or additives, and 3) it tastes so much better. Give yourself and your family a real treat by making it yourself. You’ll be glad you did.
I like my Homemade Vanilla Coconut Milk heavily doused in my coffee, tea, and used in preparing raw or cooked foods. And, of course, a big ol’ glass of it straight up.
Recipe: Homemade Vanilla Coconut Milk
Yield 1 quart
- 2 cups dried, shredded, and unsweetened organic coconut
- 4 cups hot filtered water*
- Pinch sea salt
- Vanilla Bean Powder or natural vanilla drops, to taste
- Soak the shredded coconut with the hot water for about two hours in a large bowl.
- Transfer the mixture to a high-powered blender, like a Vitamix, and blend for a minute.
- Strain through a good nutmilk bag (discard the pulp). <– I haven’t used that bag but it gets nice reviews.
- Enjoy! This keeps for a few days in the refrigerator. It will separate so simply shake it up before consuming.
* I use freshly boiled water from my Breville One-Touch Tea Maker.