Some of you want to know how I made that buttered up purple cabbage when I featured it in my Big Ass Brisket recipe.
Well, I’m gonna show you today. It’s easy and makes cabbage delicious. We can all use a bit of extra cabbage in our lives, right?
My mother-in-law taught me how to make it for the most part. She was like, “Cabbage. Butter. Pot. Season. Cover. Cook.” Or something like that.
I first tried it at her house on a New Year’s Day some years ago, when she made the annual black eyed peas (new year health wishes) and cabbage (new year wealth wishes). You southerners know the drill. It was so good I kept going back for more.
Until I was bloated beyond belief. Cabbage can do that. Black Eyed Peas probably can, too.
Seriously Buttered Purple Cabbage
Get yourself the following:
- 1 cabbage (I prefer purple unless it’s New Year’s Day and I’m wishing for money and green cabbage is the thing I guess)
- sea salt
- black pepper
- lots of grass-fed butter, I use salted (KerryGold is nice and inexpensive)
- Oh, grab an onion if you want some deeper flavors going on.
Get your pot (one with a lid), and put a lot of butter in it. I don’t know, maybe 1/2 a stick? Get the pot heated up, butter melted, and dump in some chopped purple onion.
Sweat the onion for a few minutes – don’t brown it – sweat it (that means over heat that is not too hot).
Meanwhile, get to slicing that cabbage. I prefer to use a handheld mandoline (V slicer) to make it extra thin. This makes it cook faster and it’s easier for my four year old to chew it. I don’t cook the whole head of cabbage… I do about half. But you do what feels right for you and yours.
And, remember… More cabbage? —> More butter. And salt. And pepper.
Put the cabbage in the pot. Add some more butter because butter is good (in many ways). Season with some salt and pepper.
Put the lid on and cook until done… maybe 5 minutes or maybe 15 – just depends on how thick your cabbage is.
Taste it. Adjust seasoning if needed. Enjoy.
- Recipe Cinnamon Apple Chicken n Buttered Purple Cabbage Gluten Free
- Instant Pot Purple Cabbage and Raisins – Easy Vegetables
- Rosemary Infused Purple Cauliflower Mash – It’s Purrrrrty
- Recipe: Pumpkin Spice Creamy Buttered Latte – This is Fun!
- Recipe: A Real-Food Nutritious Breakfast in Our Home: Cabbage n Eggs