Mmmm a day full of healthy, energizing, GREEN, nutrient dense, delicious, EASY, fun, texture filled, Raw, Vegan, Organic food!!!
How to Detox & Get Healthy for Pregnancy
I’ve been asked many times about what I did to detox and get my body, mind, and spirit healthy for pregnancy. I’m happy to share my plan. It’s lengthy though, so get yourself a nice green smoothie or green juice, sit back and relax as you read through it all. Please keep in mind this necessary disclaimer… I’m not a midwife or a physician, and anyone thinking about getting pregnant should consult one of the aforementioned professionals to discuss your options. We are all different and we all have different toxic loads, experiences, ages, fitness levels, environments, etc. I will mention that a midwife is more likely to understand detoxing and using foods, supplements, etc for helping with pregnancy preparation over a medical doctor. So, with that out of the way… here is what I did.
- vegan DHA
- Vitamin B-12
- pre-natal vitamins
- wheat grass tablets
- spirulina (didn’t take much of this, I’m taking it more now though)
- milk thistle (did this for a little over a month)
- Vitamineral Green powder
- Fruits of the Earth powder
- raspberry leaf tea
- Vitamin D
- And… I made sure to consume foods that gave me plenty of zinc, iron, calcium, magnesium, selenium, b-vitamins, vitamin C, vitamin E, fiber, and protein.
- Home birth (there are many considerations for the birth itself – location, midwife, doula, birthing classes, water birth, etc)
- Breast feeding,
- Homeschooling, and our
- Raw vegan diet
- Cloth diapers and/or elimination communication
- Baby wearing, and
In future posts, I will share what I’ve researched and experienced.
- Vitamin K shot at birth
- Which prenatal tests I want or don’t want
- Post-natal eye treatment for baby
- Which birthing classes to take
- Newborn screening (drawing blood to test metabolic processes)
- Finding a pediatrician that I’m happy with, who is knowledgeable and friendly toward my High Raw Vegan diet, my breast feeding plan, and supports my informed consent and personal decisions regarding whatever I want to do with vaccines)
Caravan of Dreams Dinner Date With Friends In New York & Saturday’s Raw Food Plan
The other night we met up with my good buddies Gena (of the awesome blog, Choosing Raw) and Cassie for some dinner at Caravan of Dreams (this restaurant is organic and vegan with plenty of Raw options). I kept my food Raw by having their delicious Avocado Coconut soup and a large, fresh salad that came with a delightfully spicy dressing that made my taste buds dance. My husband had a cooked vegan dish which was a burrito with seitan in it (very tasty). Gena and Cassie also kept it Raw with soup and salad. My salad came with nori strips which I asked for on the side. I agreed to try those – again. Try, I did. Twice. I just can’t do it. Ugh. Can’t stand eating sea veggies. I sure wish I could, but I can’t. I’ll stick to hiding dulse and kelp in my smoothies and raw soups instead of tossing it on salads where I actually have to bite into it. In the picture, that’s Gena on the left, me in the middle, and Cassie on the right.
Today’s Raw Food
Thought I’d put up a quick post with today’s Raw food for us (my husband added a Vega bar, berry flavored and a large protein shake made with 2 scoops Sun Warrior Protein, 1 scoop pea protein, and 2 tablespoons hemp protein powders). Everything is always organic. It was a day of blissful, energizing, Raw, vegan, delicious, and nutritious food.
Banana Carrot Smoothie (3 cups)
Green Smoothie (3 cups): banana, pineapple, Wheat Grass powder
Easy Fresh Salad: 1 avocado, dice;, 15 grape tomatoes, halved; 3 leaves basil, chopped; squeeze fresh lemon juice; tiny pinch each of Himalayan crystal salt and black pepper
Kristen Suzanne’s Harvest Soup (1 1/2 cups (from my book Easy Raw Vegan Holidays)
Handful of pumpkin seeds
Hemp Milk Super Berry Smoothie: 1 cup hemp milk, 1 cup blackberries, 1 cup strawberries
Chopped Veggie Salad Mix: carrot, zucchini, olives, basil, red bell pepper, Sweet Capri Dressing (dressing from my book Easy Raw Vegan Salads & Dressings)
Cinnamon Vanilla Chia Pudding